New to tinnitus or first time looking for help?


If you have developed a constant ringing, hissing, buzzing or other sound in the ears, you have options.

Where can I go for help?

You can see your doctor, an ENT (ear nose and throat) specialist or a hearing clinic that deals with tinnitus. Who you see may depend on your situation.

  • If your tinnitus has a pulsing quality to it, you should ask your doctor or ENT about it
  • If it has been more than a week, you can see your doctor (especially if there are other symptoms like dizziness) and, in addition, a hearing clinic. Some people live with tinnitus for years before seeking help.


  • Do you know how it started?
  • It may have been a noise exposure, or you may have worked in a noisy environment for many years; if so, consider a hearing clinic that provides tinnitus services
  • Some medications have tinnitus as a side effect (either during use or when you stop using it); ask your doctor about this and see what they advise
  • If you were involved in a car accident, had a head or neck injury or an invasive dental procedure right before the noise started, you will want to address these physical issues with your doctor or other healthcare provider involved in your care
  • Other causes can be discussed with your doctor


If you are new to tinnitus, you can also find basic facts and information about it via: